Perfect Holiday Gifts for ADHD TeensPosted on December, 08, 2022 by Susan
Ahh, the holidays, when we make ourselves crazy trying to figure out the perfect gifts for ADHD teens who don’t need anything. Well, I am here to give you some on-and-off-the-radar gift ideas you may not have thought of so you don’t end up buying that computer game that you really don’t want them to have anyway.
There are certain items that make great gifts and help students who have ADHD. As a bonus, your teen will actually love them! Some include:
- A Weighted Blanket-often recommended by medical professionals for people with ADHD and/or anxiety. Great for students to take back to their dorm rooms.
- Noise-Canceling Headphones-eliminates distractions, especially useful if students are doing homework or studying in environments such as the kitchen or even the library where distractions may make focusing more difficult.
- Gel Pens/Coloring Pages -The benefits are two-fold. ADHD people love bright and shiny things like gel pens, and coloring is so soothing and often recommended for people who live with anxiety.
- Insulated Water Bottle-Hydration increases focus and helps keep fatigue at bay.
- Fidgets-I’m not talking about the universally hated fidget spinner, but there are great fidget objects that really do promote focus and concentration like fidget rings and my personal fav, the Fidget Slug.
In addition to personal gifts, there are lots of really fun games that help strengthen executive function skills and can be enjoyed with family and friends during the holidays. Here are just a few:
- Kanoodle-spacial organization
- 5 Second Rule-time management, task initiation
- Escape Room Kits-planning, organization, flexibility, problem-solving
- Shashibo Shape Shifting Box-helps with stress and anxiety; develops problem-solving skills
Most of these make awesome gifts for any age, not just teens. I hope these suggestions helped ease any gift-giving stress you might be experiencing.